Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Amy's week #2 - June 9, 2015
Guatemala City CCM

Things are good down here in the Promised Land. The CCM is great, each day gets easier and easier. 

This week was mostly the same old same old uplifting, spiritual, life changing stuff. You know. We did get to watch Elder Perry's funeral on Friday, it was so good to hear from our general authorities and President Monson. Elder Perry was a great man who did a lot of good in this world. 

The language. Man. It's coming! Sometimes it's crazy difficult to have to work so hard to understand everything that's going on around me, but I'm doing pretty well for just a couple weeks here. My companion, Hermana Thompson, can understand a lot and speak pretty well, her mom's from Cuba. So if ever I don't quite catch what's going on she's caught most of the jist.

We practice teaching with the Latina missionaries, which is sometimes an adventure. This week we were teaching the Restoration to a couple elders from Mexico, thought we had totally nailed the language and the doctrine. Hermana Thomspon asked them a question and one of the elders responded, and then turned to his companion and whispered he had no idea what we had just said. It was pretty funny. Sometimes the language barrier is so bad we all just laugh about it. 

The Latino missionaries are only here for 2 weeks, so the ones who came in with us left early this morning. I couldn't believe how hard it was saying goodbye to those sisters. They are some of the most amazing people I've ever met and its crazy to know that I'll never see them again in this life. I especially got close with a few of the sisters from Honduras, they taught me some Honduran lingo and are excited for me to be in their country. They told me I'd become a Gringa Catracha and I told them that would be my greatest honor. We taught them some English phrases and they loved that.

Today for Pday it's only been the North American missionaries since the new ones don't come until tomorrow. We got to go out and take a tour of Guatemala City which was so cool. It's gorgeous here, so lush and green. It rains every day like flash flood for hours, since it's the rainy season. We got to see a really cool cathedral at the plaza in the center of the city, and also eat at Wendys. Que Bendicion.

Then we went to this crazy market with so many people, and little booths and things all together. It was nuts! It was really neat and also scary because we all thought we were going to get robbed. Then we went out to the plaza and tried to place some Libros de Mormon, but my comp and I had no success. Luckily we found an Evangelist woman who began to preach to us in fast Spanish that we didn't understand. All in the experience, I suppose!

Every day with the tag is a good one, I feel so grateful to be here with so many amazing people preparing for the best work I could be doing. I hope you're all doing well, you're in my prayers. 

LOVE YOU. Mwah.

-Hermana White



No comments: