This week not much to report, chugging along always in the missionary work. We had splits with the hermanas from La Joya, with another newbie Hermana McKee from Idaho, who is awesome. It was fun to be with her and learn from her, she is very prepared and loves the Lord and the gospel.
Yesterday Hermana Aguilar had a birthday and we celebrated in style. I made her a paper crown that she refused to wear to ward council. And I tried to sing her Cielito Lindo or Las Mananitas, but I'm not Mexicana and it didn't have the full effect. Later that night we had a Noche de Hogar [FHE] with the Martinez family who are very special people, and Hermana Lorenza made her a cake and Catrachitas - fried tortillas with beans and cheese, which are delicious.
This week we began teaching the children of a less active sister, Mariann and Magnor, ages 11 and 8, who are preparing to be baptized. Even though their mom hasn't attended church in years, the kids lately have been really excited to attend and go even without her. They are really special, really intelligent, and have the purest desires to be baptized and follow Jesus Christ.
Yesterday when we gave them a Book of Mormon they got so excited to get started reading it. Even Anniel, their 6-year-old sister, said that even though she doesn't know how to read, she would learn so she could read it. We learn a lot from them, they're really fun.
Honduras has taught me a lot of life lessons, one of them being humility. All my life I have taken so much for granted, having a washing machine, a car, a house with carpet and air conditioning, a family who loves me and supports me and will be mine for eternity, being raised in the gospel, and having the opportunity for an education. And even with all those blessings wanting more or not being satisfied.
I have seen the simplest homes made out of cinderblock and cardboard, parents who work sunup to sundown just to feed their children, mothers who spend hours daily washing clothes by hand and walking miles to take their kids to a good school, and they are the happiest people I have ever met. People who have had their families torn apart due to drugs, alcohol, and infidelity, and are strong enough to keep moving forward, putting their trust in God and having the faith that He has a plan for them.
As I have faced trials and difficulties during my time on the mission, I have had to learn to say "Okay, I can handle that. What does God want me to learn today?" I have come to love and appreciate the example of the Lord Jesus Christ in Gethsemane when he accepted the will of the Father. Even though maybe it wasn't something he wanted to do, he knew it was necessary. If He could do that, I can face the little problems and disappointments, and so can you.
Thanks for the love and support, have a fantastic week!
Hermana White
"Newbie" Hermana Aubrey McKee from Idaho, on the left.
Hermana Aguilar got her nose powdered.
Catrachitas - fried tortillas with beans and cheese.
Our zone on the bus.
No comments:
Post a Comment