This week was good, lots more of the same old same old that we experience here. Some people listen to us and others couldn't care to give us the time of day! There are challenges in every aspect here and I am learning a lot of patience and relying on the Lord.
Also, President Bowler put some changes in the mission. Now we have an hour for language study instead of 30 minutes, with a greater focus on learning English for the Latinos. It's been fun and interesting to figure out how to help Hermana Martinez learn English and for me to learn more Spanish as well. Also Saturdays we will be focusing on working with the members, doing service, and fellowshipping less-actives to try to reactivate and gain confidence in the members to receive references. I think it is a really good idea and we will see how it functions in our area.
There are some things that you just get used to here, and sometimes it makes me laugh and realize that I am in fact in a completely different country with a completely different culture than my previous life. For example:
-The other day in a lesson we were sitting outside and during my testimony about faith a rooster started chasing a chicken around the yard and jumped on the back of my chair and launched into flight off my back and my head. Proceed as normal.
-I'm learning how to make tortillas, and I'm getting pretty good!
-They sell water in plastic bags as opposed to bottles here, you bite the corner off the bag and drink it that way.
-When women greet each other they kiss each other on the cheek. That took some getting used to.
Among lots of other local customs!
We cook for ourselves the majority of the time because the sister in the ward who was making our lunches hasn't been able to for a while. The exceptions of the rule are when members invite us to eat or when we eat out every once in a while. Lately the members have been giving us lots of fish, which is awesome. I have learned to eat the fish when its eyeballs are staring at me, and to pick out the bones. Also, Sunday we had the burden and the privilege to eat two dinners because members invited us and we couldn't say no.
When we cook for ourselves we get creative sometimes but mostly tortillas, frijoles, rice, plantanes [bananas], lots of eggs, sometimes ramen, and actually a lot of people eat spaghetti here. But they make the sauce with mantequilla cream [sour cream] and sugar.
Above everything, I am super happy and content here. The mission is great and I am so overjoyed for a Father in Heaven who gave me this wonderful opportunity to be here among these people. This week I Ponderized 1 Nephi 9.6 about how the Lord has ways prepared to complete His works here on the earth, and it's wonderful to be part of His work here in San Lorenzo.
Have a wonderful week!
Attentamente- Hermana White
Amy & Hermana Martinez (from Guatemala)
Making tortillas
Amy in Tegucigalpa (?)
No comments:
Post a Comment